Bamford is known to have been a Methodist preaching place in 1797 and, on a Chesterfield Circuit Plan for 1807 is shown as having a morning service on alternate Sundays. The first Wesleyan chapel in Bamford was built in 1821 at a cost of £120 and was a single storey building set road side on the present site
About fifty years later it was decided to build a new, larger chapel on top of the original building, which then became the church hall .The building cost £755. The grand opening was on Easter Sunday 1890
In 1935 the trustees of the Ashopton Methodist chapel, which was to be inundated by the Ladybower Reservoir, debated whether to build a replacement chapel at Yorkshire Bridge or a new chapel at Bamford The war intervened and neither proposal materialised, but in 1951 the Ashopton friends generously contributed to extensions to the rear of Bamford chapel on land purchased in 1908. This provided a vestry, entry vestibule and toilet. This , in turn, allowed the main entrance to be moved from the Main Road to its present safer position on Taggs Knoll.